Archive for July 5th, 2010

July 5, 2010

Face Time with the Old Lady

by Nate Birkholz

I spent some time today working on the Old Witch. A few days ago I basecoated the claws with Vallejo Chocolate brown, basecoated the face with a red brown, then drybrushed her face with Brown Rose then Flat Flesh. I also painted in her eye.

Step 1

I washed the claws with a mix of orange and brown, and basecoated the cloth over her eyes with a very light sand color.

Step 2

I washed the cloth with Devlan Mud and drybrushed the claws with a brighter orange. I painted her hair medium gray and washed with Badab Black. I highlighted the cloth across her eyes with a shade of sand slightly darker than the original. Then I painted the eyepatch with dark red brown and washed with with black. I didn’t like how the eyepatch looked, so I tried highlighting it with a drybrush of light brown, which looked even worse.

Step 3 (despite the filename)

So I thinned out some copper paint and painted it onto the eyepatch, drybrushed light gray on the hair, and added one more wash of Badab Black. I also started on the feet.

Step 4

I feel like the patch turned out well in copper. I am not sure about the hair, I might want to go lighter still. I really like the face, though. Next up, I am going to paint her skirt a dark red and the doublet a dark blue.

I also am almost finished with a RPG Evil Priest/Necromancer miniature I picked up.

Believe it or not, I haver a friend who looks like this

July 5, 2010

Terrans vs. Dindrenzi

by Nate Birkholz

Yesterday, a coworker and I got in what was supposed to be a quick game of Firestorm Armada, but since it was only our second game, we had no idea what we were doing, and the game took hours.

I played my Terran fleet, “Task Force Mars,” and Matt played his Dindrenzi. We had one planet that I had painted up, and another coworker cut some nebulae out of white paper: we decided the nebulae blocked LOS (halving Attack Dice), but had no effect on movement. I fared rather poorly, losing a lot of my ships early on, though I did manage to board and capture one Dindrenzi frigate using my Cruisers.

In brief, I came out of the deployment zone and tried to move around one flank, using the planet and a nebula for cover, but we got hung up on one another near the planet, and traded a lot of volleys that left me without most of my ships. My Battleship then played cat and mouse with his remaining forces, and was actually slowly winning the battle of attrition with his battleship because my shields were working rather well–I had doubted the effectiveness of shields from reading the rules, but in practice they really made a difference, preventing several critical hits and even reducing all damage a couple times. Still, in the end, Matt had three Frigates (in two squadrons), two Cruisers, and a mostly-functional Battleship and was well-positioned to take me out next turn if we hadn’t run out of time after three or so hours of looking up rules (photo is from right before he dusted my last Frigates and the final Cruiser)!

Amid the nebulae

We hadn’t previously used the boarding rules, hadn’t used the Cut Engines maneuver, hadn’t used any sort of terrain, and hadn’t used a lot of torpedoes previously. Now we are little more familiar with those rules, though I feel like we didn’t really do the boarding properly: I should got to the Firestorm Armada forums and ask some followup questions. Next time we will use the fighter wings, and there will be much confusion.